Author Topic: Hello all More Questions !  (Read 3205 times)

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
Hello all More Questions !
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:42:56 PM »
Hi again I hope you are all keeping well ,
I’m going to have a go a the interval mixing process , I’m just wondering that during the rest period of 1hr I assume some glyc settles , I’m just concerned that the pump will struggle with the glyc , I use KOH so not as bad as NaOH, but still I the past my pump does t seem to like it , I’m going to put some heat into the process just because it’s so cold at the mo ,  if only to about 20 degrees  it I guess this should help the pump , Would I be right to do 5 minute cycles every hour for 5 hours?

Also did a glyc wash on my oil , used glyc from a previous batch , ran it for 30 mins at 60degrees but even after a week no glyc has dropped , what shall I do now ?
Thank you all

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
Re: Hello all More Questions !
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:54:47 PM »
First things first...you need to get that glyc out.

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:04:24 PM »
Ok thanks Nigel , how ? Add more glycerine I have about 5litres still ?

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:05:02 PM »
You'll need to get it all blended up again to ensure even distribution of the glyc and whatever is preventing it from splitting. Drop 10lts into a bucket and stsrt experimenting on 500ml at a time in a 1 lt jug.
Its never happened to me before but you could try adding small amounts of methanol to encourage it. I would hope that one of our members may have a different view and be able to assist.

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »
Thanks , good idea about experimenting with small batches

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:11:34 PM »
Its as scientifuc as you can get. Once it starts to split do the same on another sample to prove it off. Scale the results up to whatever the volume is in your reactor inclusive of the glyc in there.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:12:42 PM »
As a rule of thumb...never experiment with the entire batch.

Offline neisel

• Valve head
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
How much money are you saving by not warming your batch up? You have to weigh up whether saving 50p or £1 or £3 or whatever it is per batch is worth the hassle & extra time of doing this at ambient temps in the dead of winter.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
How much glyc did you put in to do the glyc wash?

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
How much money are you saving by not warming your batch up? You have to weigh up whether saving 50p or £1 or £3 or whatever it is per batch is worth the hassle & extra time of doing this at ambient temps in the dead of winter.
Hi Neil I’m going to heat up the oil but just thought that heating it to 20  degrees Instead of 55degress would be ambient temperature during the summer , when you do your processing , it’s a fair point though about how much in reality it actually saves

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 12:21:59 PM »
Next summer I will make up enough to get me through the winter , as you do, however for now I’ve got to process in the dead of winter !

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 12:25:15 PM »
I must admit I only put in 5 litres into a 140 litre batch ! I had 10 litres spare but halved it so I could add some warm oil to it to make it a bit easier on the pump , problem is this took it to the max so I do t have enough room to add the other 5 litres !

I’ll drain some off and add the remaining 5 litres if you think this would help

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
 Can’t wait until the warmer weather when things should be easier !
Thanks for the replies chaps

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »
I must admit I only put in 5 litres into a 140 litre batch ! I had 10 litres spare but halved it so I could add some warm oil to it to make it a bit easier on the pump , problem is this took it to the max so I do t have enough room to add the other 5 litres !

I’ll drain some off and add the remaining 5 litres if you think this would help

Hells Bells Paul, 5lts in 140, no wonder it didn't split. Get a load more in there, as much as you can. The norm is about 20% of batch volume but the more the better.

Don't worry about the glyc dropping when you do the intermittant method, you need to mix it in again. You only drop it after you've mixed it several times, then the reaction has reached an equilibrium between conversion and residual chemicals left in the glycerol.

Re intermittant and ambient methods;  52 mins mixing saved per stage at 1.5kw's is a good saving I would say, plus the time to heat 200 litres from 20 to 50 degs with a 3kw heater.

Paul, Run some of your mix out of the processor so you can get the rest of your glyc in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:10:54 PM by dgs »
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »
That's why I asked. TBH I thought you had loads in there..not 5lts. I'm with Dave. Get it all in...as much as you've got.