Author Topic: Could one of you 3D printing Gurus print me a small plastic gearwheel please?  (Read 8140 times)

Offline julesandtash

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
    • Veg oil collection in South East Cornwall
We have a DVD disc cleaning machine which has stripped a couple of teeth on one of the gears in it's little plastic gearbox

It is a 20mm diameter (to the outside of the teeth) gear with 30teeth, with a small 10 tooth gear on top of the main gear and a small extension shaft out of the back. It has a 2mm hole for the axle right through the centre.

I know you are all experts at printing things but can you print something that small and accurate ?
I would be forever if your debt if someone can make one for me

If not, does anybody know where i might get one - dont say a local model shop as I cant find any locally. Years ago I remember a shop called model engineering which was great but I think they are long gone.

Some photos
The side with the smaller gear on (the stripped one)

the other side with the small extension piece

and the side view showing the damaged gear

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:20:51 PM by julesandtash »
7+ years of making bio.
1997 RangeRover P38A 2.5DSE and 2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 V6 Tdi all on B100
Home heating and hot water system on Palm based B100 and Aarrow 7KW wood burner on glycerol logs

Offline photoman290

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
there is something that you can rebuild broken gear teeth with. it is american and  does work. can't remember the name but it is is used by repair shops for just what you need. try on the other channel. sort of thing HC would have kicking about.

Offline julesandtash

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
Thanks Bob, I have cross posted it there too.
7+ years of making bio.
Home heating and hot water system on Palm based B100 and Aarrow 7KW wood burner on glycerol logs

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
Love to give it a go, Jules, but as I think you half guessed stuff that small is tricky especially when you consider the size of the gear teeth and the mesh area they will have with other gears.

Whack up the photos and, if you can some dimensions of the teeth ... primarily exact OD of both and root to peak dimension (might need a caliper!), we should be able to work out gear dimensions from those.

What OD is the extension?  Will it be taking any lateral force or does it act as a spacer on the shaft?
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
So it's only the small gear that's damaged.  That would be the trickiest to print.

How about cutting the small gear off and only printing that?  That way the tooth profile could be cleaned up with a file (it couldn't if it was printed in piece) and the new gear glued and hot wire pinned to the existing large gear.  A 2mm rod could be used to ensure alignment.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline GedsJeep

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
post a pic of the whole machine please.

450,000 miles plus on 100% WVO

Offline julesandtash

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
Julian, that was a good idea.
I have cut the broken bit of cog off with a dremel no problem. I then discovered it is exactly the same size as the motor drive pinion, namely 8mm 10 tooth
They are quite easy to get so I will buy some (£3 for ten, delivered) and see how that goes.
If it works, it will be a lot easier than getting you to print one. If it doesn't then I will be asking for your efforts

This is the device we have

It is a Skip Doctor, sold by Amazon here...  http://www.amazon.co.uk/SkipDr-Blu-Ray-Repair-Cleaning-System/dp/B00432ZSHG

It does work surprisingly well and has resurrected unreadable discs
7+ years of making bio.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
I have a 0.2mm extrusion nozzle for just this type of job, I also have 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5mm.

I'm like one of those scouty boys, be prepared, know wot r meen.

Offline GedsJeep

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
nah, cant help.

sorry
450,000 miles plus on 100% WVO

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
That's it, Jim's got the job ... I've only got a 0.4 and 0.5mm nozzel.

Happy to have a go at drawing it though.

Offline julesandtash

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
Thank you both. I will wait for the new cogs to arrive and see what they are like.
If they dont work then I will send the existing cogs to whichever one of you feels most comfortable at drawing them. I dont have any kit more accurate than a ruler to measure things so best that I send them to one of you.

Assuming that the new cogs do work, I will need to glue to the top of the old cog. Keeping them aligned will be easy enough with the axle through them but I need to know what to use.

The advert for the cogs says they are made of plastic acetal which appears to be this stuff http://plastics.ulprospector.com/generics/2/acetal

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:41:53 PM by julesandtash »
7+ years of making bio.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
Glueing plastics I've found Pound land Soopa glue, the 4/5 little bottles in a pack take some beating, they even have very narrow extension nozzles so you can apply a very small amounts at a time.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
That's it, Jim's got the job ... I've only got a 0.4 and 0.5mm nozzel.

Happy to have a go at drawing it though.

Okee dokee, you draw it I'll print it.

I'll even carry the cost of postage though I am a poor ragged arse pensioner struggling to make ends meet, too much month at the end of the money, pauses to wipe a tear or two, but I'll go without a meal for one day to cover the postage and get the gear down to Kernow.

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils

Offline julesandtash

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
You are very kind Jim. Ebay says that the cogs I ordered have been dispatched so I will see soon whether they do the job. If not then the old parts will be on route to Julian's drawing office
7+ years of making bio.