Author Topic: Bosch VE pump shaft seal leak.  (Read 23406 times)

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
Bosch VE pump shaft seal leak.
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
Wasn't there a page or link to a Bosch VE pump rebuild on the wiki somewhere or am I imagining things?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:37:58 PM by Julian »
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
Re: Page on Bosch VE pumps
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline Head Womble

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
I thought it was just the pump shaft seal that has gone.
Why are you pulling the whole pump apart ?
Skoda Yeti L&K 2L TDI 150 CR DPF Adblue
VW Touran 1.6tdi DSG.
Both running pimp diesel.

Offline Rotary-Motion

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
whats the pump off?

Offline Head Womble

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
Discovery 300tdi.
VW Touran 1.6tdi DSG.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:04:56 AM »
I thought it was just the pump shaft seal that has gone.
Why are you pulling the whole pump apart ?

The shaft seal had gone and I had a spare pump.

So ... I put that on and it ran like pants.  Lumpy tick over, stalling wouldn't rev.  Tried priming it using the leaver on the lift pump ... that suddenly went free and just didn't feel right.

So ... I changed the lift pump and checked all the connections for air leaks and cracked all the joints at the filter, IP and injectors.  No air, nice clean bio coming out.

So ... I pulled the IP diaphragm out and gave the stem a clean which seemed to improve things a little.  Partially firing on 3 cylinders and completely missing on one ... lots of smoke!

So ... I kept starting it and trying to keep it running now getting a little response from the throttle.  It got better and better, so much so that it ended up on full throttle all on it's own and wouldn't now tick over.

So ... I sprayed a little WD40 down the hole where the diaphragm stem goes and kept starting it and letting it rev it's nuts off briefly before stopping it.  Eventually it cleared, ticked over as sweet as a nut and revved nicely.

Yes I thought ... but no ... looked under the engine and there was a veritable Niagara falls of bio from the cam belt case drain plug.

So ... I took the bloody thing out again and refitted the first pump.  The leak on that, now I've bothered to check is actually quite bad too ... bugger!

So ... look at secondhand pump ... circa 150 - 250 quid, recon pump 400 - 500 quid.

So ... I investigate changing the seal.  Cheapest I can find is 18 quid off ebay as part of a kit of seals.  Transpires it an unusual size 20*31*7.3 and not an off the shelf item from a bearing stockist.  I've found them cheaper in China but not surprisingly, on a long delivery.

So ... from reading on the internet there's no key between the drive flange and shaft, so I've printed a tool that locates in the flange and can have a thin cutting disc (screwfix do small discs 1mm thick) run across half the end of the shaft and into the tool.  The tool can then be removed and the flange popped (loud bang is a better description as it was on proper tight) off.

So ... with access to the seal, you can drill a hole, protecting the shaft with a hose clip, and very carefully muller the seal to a point where it will pull out.

That the current state of paly.  Awaiting confirmation from the ebay seller that his seal is Viton and it should be here Tuesday, although there's a Bosch stockist in Croydon I might try tomorrow.

Having now had a lot of practice at changing the IP, it should be quite a quick job to swap the pumps over again ... not building my hope up too much at this stage though!

Don't you just love Discos!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:43:29 AM by Julian »

Offline therecklessengineer

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »
Try Dieselbob.

Never used, but heard good things.

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
yup, Bob is a helpful chap, he will sort a viton seal out for you. 01254 878 582

Offline Rotary-Motion

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
did start twin tanking a 300tdi once found out lift pump didn't do jack the actual pump pulled the fuel through.

also think there is a landy/disco mechanic close to me somewhere (on a farm) used to be a bit of a landy/disco graveyard of parts too...

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:10 AM »
You can fit any TC/TB profile shaft seal so long as it has the correct dimensions (and is double lipped).  For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17x28x7mm-TC-R23-Double-Lip-Viton-Rubber-Metric-Shaft-Oil-Seal-with-Spring-/141009904978

(£8.50 is a bit more like it!)

Here are the types explained

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:43:11 AM by Tony »

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »
Well, so far so good.  Place in Croydon had one ... £5 cash, genuine Bosch part.  Navigation was easy, satnav to get there and follow the trail of biodiesel on the way back!

Interesting brief discussion with the chap there.  Apparently the seal sees around 90 psi, not just the lift pump pressure, so it's little wonder they leak with just a little wear.  Also all rubber parts now supplied by Bosch are Viton.  I'm pretty sure the seal I took out was Viton, so I can't blame the bio.  That said, I'm pretty sure the pump with the Niagara flow was fine when I took it off the car a couple of years ago ... maybe it's just possible sitting static with bio inside did for the seal and gummed up the internals causing them to stick.

Off out into the rain and cold now to fit the seal and swap the pump for a third time.  Think I might change the timing belt before too long, I recon that's had a good soaking and I don't want to be changing the head again!

Thanks for the info Tony.  I did investigate standard seals but the OD of 31mm doesn't appear to be available.  Custom made seals are possible, used them before on an old air cylinder but they are ferociously expensive.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:52:12 PM by Julian »

Offline Head Womble

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:51:34 PM »
You seem to be having a right merry dance with this pump, mine went without a hitch compared to yours.

Good call to change the belt once you finally get a leak free pump.

Have a read of the problems JulianF is having with his belt and hopefully you wont suffer like he is.
http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/300tdi-cam-belt-failed-too-soon-why-274239.html

I have my dead pump sat doing nothing if it can help, however I have no idea what made it stop, but Jules did have a new seal put in it.
VW Touran 1.6tdi DSG.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »
No hadn't seen that.  Brings back memorys though!  Don't like the stripped belt teeth.  Definitely needs to change the bottom belt pulley whatever the problem.

Where on the M25 ... not that I was in a position to help with a disabled Disco myself!

Offline Head Womble

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:27:06 PM »
He didn't give any more detail than "M25".
VW Touran 1.6tdi DSG.