Author Topic: New car: Pug with DPF  (Read 617 times)

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
New car: Pug with DPF
« on: April 28, 2023, 10:10:58 PM »
Nigel was talking about end of an era and it feels a bit like that here too - the Merc's gone to the scrappy and I've got a Pug 5008 with DPF.

Fortunately with very little expenditure it's possible to monitor everything fuel system related from a phone app, injector compensation, weight of soot collected, back pressure, ash accumulation (effective DPF life remaining), temperature of DPF etc so I know exactly when a regen is needed and the state of the system. Although it is possible to trigger a regen, the app dev removed it for "safety reasons" so I can only monitor.

This vehicle has multijet style injection (several squirts per combustion cycle) and uses Cerium Oxide in acid dosed into the fuel as a means to bring the DPF burn temp down during the regen.  The DPF itself is one that can be taken off and split (ring clamp arrangement) to allow DPF cleaning.

Cautiously learning about it on diesel before even considering bio...

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
Re: New car: Pug with DPF
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 10:24:24 PM »
What style of driving are you doing currently Tony? High speed, long dustance? Could ne wotth a blend instead of dino.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 04:06:16 PM »
Mostly city with the odd long run to be honest.  Arguably it's already on a blend - B7 - a bit of B50 wouldn't make much difference right?
So far it's only done one regen and that was on quite a short motorway hop, I don't think it takes much with this Cerium additive to do the regen itself.
Every time you put fuel in it knows you've done it and calculates the dose amount based on the fuel level change, and there's a little tank under the car with a pump that squirts a few ml into the fuel tank.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 09:07:45 PM »
Witchcraft :o ;D