Author Topic: methanol too wet  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
Re: methanol too wet
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 10:09:22 PM »
You requesting a copy of the c of c will tell them you mean buisness.

That's a good tip to remember, and hopefully never have to use.  I guess you see this "from the other side" dealing with customers?

Whatever was the contaminant on that methanol can't have been water if the SG was lower - would be interesting to know what it was.  Was it bought as reclaimed methanol?

I've had some funky smelling reclaimed over the years but the SG has always been spot on.  The most problems I've had have been with KOH, getting some fresh stuff from Nige was a revelation when batches started going well again!

Offline B100

• Wiki Editor
  • Barrel scraper
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »
The methanol was ordered as virgin.

When I asked today for a C of C for the IBC that was delivered in June, it was refused.   I was told that it had to be requested at the time of ordering.    Does this sound right ?   Can they refuse ?

Obviously I have asked for a C of C for the replacement IBC that will arrive early next week.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 05:02:25 PM »
They refused it because what they sold you wasn't virgin. The c of c will have the batch number on it and it should match the batch number on the IBC.

Offline B100

• Wiki Editor
  • Barrel scraper
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 07:10:30 PM »
They are going to provide me with a replacement IBC next week, so what are the benefits to me in pursuing a C of C ?     Or is this just an academic exercise with no effective value ?

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
A c of c for the stuff they are picking up? No value at all. With other clients having issues shows that it wasn't what they said it was. Some companies will try and get away with whatever they can to make a quick buck. Bottom line is they knew what they were dealing with. 

We get wind of reclaimed meth when large quantities come onto the market. We refuse to deal with it and only get virgin methanol into our unit.

All chemicals that come through our doors are traceable and accountable.....Bonnymans should be no different. Refusal of a c of c could imply they have something to hide.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
My boss says you would be better to request a c of a. Certificate of analysis. It'll show everything thats in there. Time passed is not a good enough reason for refusal of any certification. Even reclaimed will be certificated.

Get a C of A rather than C of C.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:10:57 PM by nigelb »

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »
Nige ... could I have a C of A  for the barrel of methanol I collected at the BBB?

(Awaits reply with intrepidation)
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
No...too much time has passed!! 🙄....kidding😁

Can you let me know the batch number on the barrel. Should be a little white ticket.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 11:55:19 PM »
....kidding😁

Me too ... just checking.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline B100

• Wiki Editor
  • Barrel scraper
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
Clarks must be having a problem with driver shortages.   Bonnymans assured me that the contaminated IBC would be collected last friday.   Some hope.  I chased it on monday and was assured that somebody from the Barton le Clay depot would contact me, but nobody did.   A scottish chap from Clarks HQ later assured me that the collection would take place today (tuesday).  And it did.  Even better, the replacement IBC came at the same time.   I checked the SG when the sample has warmed up and it was spot on.     

Now I need to gather my thoughts and work out just how much to claim in compensation for wasted feedstock, wasted electricity and wasted KoH.   I will let you know their reaction. 

Offline B100

• Wiki Editor
  • Barrel scraper
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 09:09:20 PM »
My initial calculation of losses suggests that I've lost £210 worth of feedstock as the result of each batch produced being reduced in efficiency by a third.   I normally expect 140L of bio per batch, but using contaminated methanol has resulted in a large drop in output and more waste.    Electricity consumption has been increased because of at two extra processes per batch, and more KoH has been used, but these are minor issues by comparison with lost feedstock.

Apart from Bonnyman, where else can I buy an IBC of methanol ?    My previous IBC came from Sidwil, but they appear to be expensive at the moment.

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 10:20:44 PM »
Sounds like Bonnyman have worked out more expensive than Sidwil to me  ;)

Offline B100

• Wiki Editor
  • Barrel scraper
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
In the short term, you are right.   But what about the next IBC ?   If I claim against Bonnyman for my losses, I think it possible that they might not sell to me again.   So then where do I go ?

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
My initial calculation of losses suggests that I've lost £210 worth of feedstock as the result of each batch produced being reduced in efficiency by a third.   I normally expect 140L of bio per batch
Sounds like you've run a lot of batches before you queried it.
Even at 50p a litre, £210 is 420 litres wasted meaning you've processed 1260 litres!

Offline B100

• Wiki Editor
  • Barrel scraper
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 12:38:12 PM »
I should have suspected the methanol earlier, but I kept looking for the cause of the problem in other variables such as the quality of the oil, and how well I had dried it.   The KoH has also been sitting around for more than a year, getting damp in poly bags which are not fully sealed.    I'm kicking myself for having left it for so long before checking the methanol.