Author Topic: Ptfe to seal threads on processor?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
Ptfe to seal threads on processor?
« on: April 18, 2021, 09:31:10 PM »
Hi All , fitting my replacement pump and pipe work, I was wondering what to use on the threads to create a seal , it does have rubber o rings too but wanted to seal the threads as a back up , is ptfe tape any good or will the oil/ bio eat it
Thanks
Paul

Offline countrypaul

• Wiki Editor
  • Impeller jammer
Re: Ptfe to seal threads on processor?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 11:40:50 PM »
Veg Oil or Bio shoud not affect PTFE tape. The rubber washers could easily perish in  Veg Oil or Bio so you may want to onsider using Viton ones instead.

If the threads you are talking about are compression fittings you shoud not use PTFE tape - it should only be used on tapered fittings I was told by a plumber in no uncertain way!

Offline PD1

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:07:43 AM »
Veg Oil or Bio shoud not affect PTFE tape. The rubber washers could easily perish in  Veg Oil or Bio so you may want to onsider using Viton ones instead.

If the threads you are talking about are compression fittings you shoud not use PTFE tape - it should only be used on tapered fittings I was told by a plumber in no uncertain way!
That’s interesting, I didn’t know that about compression fittings! The fitting on the pump is tapered , so I’ll put some tape on them
Thanks for the reply

Offline Mr Tickle

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:49:29 AM »
I have ptfe on all of my joints with no leaks, and where after years of use I have taken a joint apart the PTFE is still intact.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »
I've always been told that putting ptfe around a thread on a compression joint is unnecessary. The seal is made by the olive and the taper. It will not add to the sealabilty of the joint. Waste of time and money.

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 06:59:52 PM »
I've always been told that putting ptfe around a thread on a compression joint is unnecessary. The seal is made by the olive and the taper. It will not add to the sealabilty of the joint. Waste of time and money.

very good Nige, but what about the price of methanol?
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 11:10:27 PM »
I used to cut my own threads when I built bio plants so sealing the joints was important, I use PTFE but not the usual white reel stuff but the Yellow reel gas tape, much thicker and you need less of it to make a good joint.

As Nige says, never use PTFE on compression fittings.

Offline Mr Tickle

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »

very good Nige, but what about the price of methanol?

Sorry, my post was ambiguous, My entire setup and pipework is 1" BSP self cut threads I don't have any compression fittings (yes waste of time on those)

I called Barratine and asked for a quote for an IBC of Virgin Meth. They took my number but failed to call me back, so A price from someone would be nice.

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
Sidwill £640 unless its gone up again in the last 48 hours (which wouldn't surprise me)

My local solvents supplier is £717 for an IBC

Chempac Leicester..... still waiting.
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 05:13:52 PM »
£144 per drum collected. £720 plus delivery for an IBC. Would need a postcode for up to date delivery prices.