Author Topic: 3D printed items page  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
3D printed items page
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
I've yet to print and use these tools but as I've had the good fortune to have another cam belt shred and wipe out 50% of the rocker gear, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to draw up  a couple of the special tools required whilst the engine was in bits again.

http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/3D_Printed_parts_and_spares#Land_Rover_300_tdi_injection_pump_and_flywheel_locking_tools

Once printed, I'll replace a couple of graphics with photos.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
Re: 3D printed items page
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »
That's bad news :(  3D printed parts are tough enough for the job are they?  ABS I take it?

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
Don't know!  If I take the entry down you'll know it hasn't worked.  Just need to make some slight dimension changes and I'll give it a go.

I'll print it in PLA ... it's quite a big bulk and I'll use three external layers.  From experience to date PLA can take quite a force.

If it works it's a brilliant demonstration of 3DP usefulness.  Commercial kits are about £50.00.  Plastic for this is probably less than a quid.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:38:42 PM »
From experience to date PLA can take quite a force.

It certainly can, I been repairing folding subs benches with printed parts, both ABS and PLA and both are outlasting the original parts. There's an 8mm threaded hole in the centre of each piece and as yet none have stripped out and I can put a fair torque on a posi screw.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
Disco is back on the road ... whilst putting it back together again I realised I've replaced the cam belt more times than I've filled it at a petrol station ... strange world!

Waiting for the parts to arrive, yesterday I printed the the IP and flywheel locking tools.  Flywheel tool works fine, but I didn't  get to remove the pump.  I tested that the IP tool fits and I'm pretty sure it'll work, so I'll leave the files in place until we can prove otherwise.

I've updated the 3D page with photos of the printed tools and replaced the graphics with ones of a less anemic colour.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »
I realised I've replaced the cam belt more times than I've filled it at a petrol station ... strange world!

Ah! Perhaps that's your problem, shouldn't you be filling it with diesel?

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »
Must be all that filling the cambelt cover with petrol that's the problem then!

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »
Note to self ... try and be more specific with your posts in future to account for the pedantic members.

That said, the cam belt housing and belt were liberally doused in bio a little while back and it didn't appear to have any deleterious effect on the belt.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 05:43:49 PM »

That said, the cam belt housing and belt were liberally doused in bio a little while back and it didn't appear to have any deleterious effect on the belt.

There may not have been any deleterious effect but are you sure the bio wasn't detrimental as far as the belt goes?

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
Yes I'm sure, the belt material seem unaffected.

The problem was two thirds of it's width was missing, transformed into black fluff by rubbing on the housing cover.  I'm amazed that it didn't break sooner.  It's definitely testament to the quality of cheap timing belts ... I think it was around 8 quid!

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:19 PM »
.. I think it was around 8 quid!

Is that different to a square or even a triangular 8 quid?

( read note to self )

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:11 PM »
.. I think it was around 8 quid!

Is that different to a square or even a triangular 8 quid?

( read note to self )

(take heed of my note to self)

To refer to something as being circular you would use two words i.e.  "a round".  "Around" has a specific meaning which has little to do with things circular.

If you keep making a nuisance of yourself I'll get the nurse to stop your Horlicks.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
Yes I'm sure, the belt material seem unaffected.

The problem was two thirds of it's width was missing, transformed into black fluff by rubbing on the housing cover.  I'm amazed that it didn't break sooner.  It's definitely testament to the quality of cheap timing belts ... I think it was around 8 quid!

I'm amazed by that as well, given the effect of bio on other rubber compounds.  I suspect it may be luck of the draw with belt materials; though they do all claim oil and heat resistance they can't all be the same.

8 quid is a bargain, the last timing belt kit I bought (came with tensioner and idler pulleys) cost about £75, and the rear pump belt on the Largo is £36 alone.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
The new belt was about (note the selective use words) 8 quid, so the old one was likely to be the same.  It's the cost of all the top end moving parts and replacement pulleys that gets expensive ... total cost this time almost (and again) 100 quid including a spare belt and air filter.

I'll chop up the old belt, what's left of it, and stick samples in a jar with some bio ... it'll be interesting to see if there are any long term effects.