Author Topic: Exact regulations on storage of oil and bio?  (Read 3196 times)

Offline julianf

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
Exact regulations on storage of oil and bio?
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the exact concerns are, with regard to storage?

I suspect there will be two issues - fire, and environmental health, and that the regulations may differ for each?

The exact things im interested in are -

bunding requirements
total storage limits

There will, im sure, be variations on bunding limits relating to proximity to water courses.

Thank you.
For custom cnc cut instrument panels, see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk

Collections website - http://www.devon-used-cooking-oil-collection.co.uk

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils
Re: Exact regulations on storage of oil and bio?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
With regards to EA, I'm pretty sure that bunding isn't strictly enforceable if you are not industry but 5000 litres is an enforceable maximum you can store without a permit.

If you are following bunding requirements, it is much easier to bund many smaller containers than one big one.

ie. if you bund an IBC, the bund would need a much higher capacity than a single bund for 5x200 litre barrels.

• Oils and chemicals are stored in an area where spills can be contained. This should be within an impermeable bund. A bund is a secondary containment area that holds liquids if the main containers leak or break. If you have one oil storage container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 110% of its volume. If you have more than one container in a bund, the bund must be able to hold 25% of the total volume of the containers or 110% of the largest container’s volume. Bunds should be inspected regularly and rainwater removed;
• Tanks should be located at least 10 metres from watercourses and steps should be taken to minimise the risk of damage to the tanks/bund by impact.

No idea on fire regs though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:29:43 PM by Keef »