Author Topic: Devolution of power  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
Devolution of power
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
I'm very keen to not end up as some central controller/dictator here - how do we best devolute power?  Julian is also an admin now, learning the ropes and doing well - how do we go about allocating rights?

Personally I feel that Chug should also have admin rights.  But beyond that I'm (or should I saw "we're" - start as we mean to go forward) open to suggestions.

I'll add a backup system for the wiki in this coming week (probably as a password protected download, where the password can be shared - but who to?)

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
Re: Devolution of power
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
My thoughts

I think we need to keep login for the domain and hosting/server seperate, if someone has both it's easy to remove the site, if they only have one or other login then they have to get someone with the other login they haven't got to agree.
Several people keep backups, and if there is a problem it only needs the domain nameservers to be redirected.

Keep the main wiki update login restricted to a few people and everyone else submits their finished articles to them for uploading and I also suggest we have a section on the forum for updates, and anyone uploading, changing or editing anything adds it to a log so we can see who it was.

Just a simple who/date/website section/what was done.

Tony, is the server where it's hosted shared with other sites?
or is it a seperate account?
I ask as a recent problem on another project was other people who had login to the shared server could in theory mess with any other site on that server they had the login for.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:14 AM »
The server is a dedicated linux box (carefully crafted for silence and low energy consumption) that has sat faithfully in the corner of our living room for many years.  The downlink is 24mbps and uplink 1.3mbps (upgradable to 2.6mbps if required).

Only three people have ssh access at the moment, myself included - the other two are specific to an open source game I've contributed to, as the server is one of two master servers for it's worldwide network - as such they don't have perms to access web files/databases - though I would completely trust them even if they did - it's too valuable for the game network.

The only downtime it sees is for security patching and kernel updates, which I like to keep on top of.

For the purpose of backups I'd propose a SFTP login that could fetch a daily scripted backup of database and web files (so none of the wiki media files would be lost).  This would allow it to be recreated by anyone that has access - or, ultimately, if it becomes too big for my connection, the move to a server farm with a bigger link - though obviously this would need funding somehow.

From me the big question is the need for a UK-centric biowiki given the existance of the biodieseltutorial material in the form of http://www.make-biodiesel.org/

It would be nice, however, to have somewhere to point to on vegetableoildiesel forums when someone says "what does x do?"

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
It does seem a little silly for folks to spend time creating a tutorial if they are quite happy with what Rick has on his website and are happy just to send people to his tutorial, just need to bear in mind it's in °F and not °C and doesn't have WBD or eductors and squirrels as far as I can see, of course the problem remains that it's only there as long as Rick decides he wants it, and if like Girl Mark and the old cbt, Rick loses interest in bio the tutorial could be lost.