Author Topic: idiots guide  (Read 2012 times)

Offline knighty

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
idiots guide
« on: November 02, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »
I've never made bio before, always ran veg oil

had a reactor sitting waiting about 7 years now... about time I used it

it still needs setting up, so before I do that... can someone lay out an idiots guide for me?

I think it's....

heat+pump oil to dewater it

mix meth+catalyst (%?) - I can't remember which one I put in first?  - plan to mix in a conical tank and pump to mix them pump into reactor if that'll be ok?

oil at 60'C (I think?) add the meth mix to it

pump to mix it

let it settle, take a sample, check for dropout, add more meth mix to it to finish it off, amount of mix added depends on dropout - is it a straight there's 10% oil so add the same mix but enough to finish it off?  (brain just went blank on maths for % needed to add)

then I'd pump it out into clear conical tank (already have one), let glyc drop out, drain that off

then demeth by bubbling dry air through it

(won't bother catching the meth yet, I'll add that later)

pump it out through a filter and it's ready to use?

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils
Re: idiots guide
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:55:00 PM »
I don't make it either but brewers rave about a glyc pre wash if you can get hold of some.
It won't be a problem after your first brew  ;)

Offline knighty

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 07:46:03 PM »
I don't make it either but brewers rave about a glyc pre wash if you can get hold of some.

ohhh, I've got some!   get it from a local bio guy, use it for cleaning a machine at work :-)

Offline neisel

• Valve head
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:49 PM »
This is the info I was given when I started. Pretty much use the same method now except for the temperatures. For the glyc wash I heat to about 50ish (only to aid separation) & never use the heat again until I dry it.

Offline Mr Tickle

• Oil stirrer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 09:05:00 AM »
"let it settle, take a sample, check for dropout, add more meth mix to it to finish it off"

You will need to drain off the drop out before adding the 2nd stage of mix to it, what you collect from both stages of drop out needs to be retained to for your next batch cleaning. It's meth rich, will contain some bio, will convert a small part of your next batch and will mean you use less chemicals next time.

Offline countrypaul

• Wiki Editor
  • Impeller jammer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »
Have a good read of the Wki: http://biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Vegetable_oil_and_Biodiesel_wiki
That will provide a clear set of instructions plus many tips.

Offline DavidA

• Impeller jammer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 11:43:54 AM »
Just looking at that attachment.

It says heat oil to 60 -70 c.

Methanol boils at around 64.

Rather dangerous ?

Dave.

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »

ohhh, I've got some!   get it from a local bio guy, use it for cleaning a machine at work :-)

The stuff you have from Kev isn't good for a prewash. He is coming to see me soon, if you want I will give him some 'proper' liquid stuff for your pre-wash.
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »
Add catalyst to methanol when mixing, not the other way around!

How wet is your source oil?  I rarely glyc pre-wash or bother with heating it up, but my oil is well settled and drained from a bottom tap before I take the oil from a slightly higher up tap point.

If you are using KOH as the catalyst, it's quite tolerant of slightly wet oil, but NaOH isn't.   I would certainly recommend KOH while you're setting out at least, it's much, much more forgiving and the liquid waste is easier to dispose of or use for glyc washing later.

And when adding to the processor, don't heat the oil beyond 60 or it'll start to boil out and you'll waste it.

Good luck on your new venture - keep us posted!

Offline knighty

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil obsessive
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
planning to use KOH, figure the liquid glyc will make things much easier - if I pump out into the transparent tank to drain it there'll be no heating there for it

plus I plan to run with as little hands on time as possible... thinking I could run pumps on timers so I can set it mixing for 2 hours and walk away come back the next day - it'll be in my workshop at work, that way I can fit it in around doing other stuff