Author Topic: Using Fat to make Bio diesel  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
Re: Using Fat to make Bio diesel
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »
The reason the fat smells disgusting is because it has lots of water in it and has gone rancid. Lamb fat rendered is actually lovely.

Oh no doubt, I'm sure the proper thing is lovely but, ummm.. I'll leave any experimenting with you :D

Offline Head Womble

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »
It did make great summer fuel, some of the lightest in colour and it burnt well, but it just wasn't worth the ag.
Skoda Yeti L&K 2L TDI 150 CR DPF Adblue
VW Touran 1.6tdi DSG.
Both running pimp diesel.

Offline WesleyB

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
I made methyl biodiesel from grease derived from beef fat in June 2014 . I made about 3/4 litre . It's in a clear glass storage bottle . At my room temperature of about 26 degrees centigrade there might be 1% white crystals in the bottom of the storage bottle .  I made methyl biodiesel from lard in June 2014 also . Lard is grease from swine fat . I made maybe 800 milliliters of product . It's in a clear glass storage bottle . There's maybe 1-2% fall out in white crystals at 26 degrees centigrade .  Grease is rendered from fat by heating . The liquid grease may be made into biodiesel by the usual methods . There are longer carbon chain fatty acids present in animal fats with a higher melting point . Vegetable oil has carbon chains 14- 18 in length . Swine fat has a per centage of carbon chains 20 and 22 carbon atoms in length . Generally the higher molecular weight has a higher melting point .  Fat can be used to make biodiesel and soap but there are components in the material that turn solid at a higher temperature . I make fairly pure biodiesel  . At  26 degrees celcius there is crystalized white biodiesel at the bottom of the bottles . If you want to look up the difference in grease from animal fat compared to vegetable oil look up eicosanoic acid . I believe that was a carbon chain of 20 or 22 carbons in length .  There was discussion of a method on biodiesel forum Ireland when biodiesel was slowly cooled then solids removed leaving biodiesel useful at lower temperature . That's called fractional crystallization . I got melting points backwards , so I've modified my writing .
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:51:13 AM by WesleyB »

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
I made methyl biodiesel from grease derived from beef fat in June 2014 . I made about 3/4 litre . It's in a clear glass storage bottle . At my room temperature of about 26 degrees centigrade there might be 1% white crystals in the bottom of the storage bottle .  I made methyl biodiesel from lard in June 2014 also . Lard is grease from swine fat . I made maybe 800 milliliters of product . It's in a clear glass storage bottle . There's maybe 1-2% fall out in white crystals at 26 degrees centigrade .  Grease is rendered from fat by heating . The liquid grease may be made into biodiesel by the usual methods . There are longer carbon chain fatty acids present in animal fats with a lower melting point . Vegetable oil has carbon chains 14- 18 in length . Swine fat has a per centage of carbon chains 20 and 22 carbon atoms in length . Generally the higher molecular weight has a lower  melting point .  Fat can be used to make biodiesel and soap but there are components in the material that turn solid at a lower temperature . I make fairly pure biodiesel  . At  26 degrees celcius there is crystalized white biodiesel at the bottom of the bottles . If you want to look up the difference in grease from animal fat compared to vegetable oil look up eicosanoic acid . I believe that was a carbon chain of 20 or 22 carbons in length .

I think you are incorrect re the melting points of longer chain ffa's Wesley. Surely the longer the chain length the higher the melting point.
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline WesleyB

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 02:29:08 AM »
I looked up melting points . Eicosanoic acid methyl ester has 20 carbons in a chain with melting point 45-48 degrees celcius . Stearic acid methyl ester with an 18 carbon chain length has a melting point of 39 degrees celcius . I wrote it backwards in a previous post . The longer chain fatty acids and fatty acid esters melt at a higher temperature . Animal fat has a per centage of longer chain fatty acids that freeze when the biodiesel cools .  I don't know how to put a chart from a book into my comment .  A 1972 organic chemistry book gives that beef tallow has 0.4-1% fatty acids with chains longer than 18 carbons .  Butter has 0.4-2% of chains longer than 18 carbons .  Olive oil has up to 1% . Palm kernel oil 1-2% . Peanut oil 5-10% . Soybean oil 1-3% . Linseed oil 0.5-1% .  The longer carbon chain fatty acids made into biodiesel can solidify at higher temperatures .  Fat can be used to make biodiesel .  The fatty  acids percentage composing the resulting biodiesel is different . 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:42:04 AM by WesleyB »