Author Topic: Gunge from years or running bio.  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
Gunge from years or running bio.
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:00:01 PM »
Yet again problems with the Discovery.

I'm used to changing the fuel filter due to the waxy gunge that still seems to drop out of washed and well filtered bio, but this time the IP appears to be suffering.  Has anyone found a solvent for this waxy stuff?

I've tried carb. cleaner and hot soapy water neither of which will touch it.  Thinners seems to have a minor effect, but I'm after something that will dissolve it to the point where it will simply wash off with a soft brush.

Anyone had any success with this?
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline RichardP

• Wiki Editor
  • Impeller jammer
Re: Gunge from years or running bio.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 06:00:41 PM »
Have you tried acetone?

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
A case of trying a whole range of solvents I'm afraid Julian. Acetone as Rich suggests is a good place to start followed by Xylene, MEK or possibly Methylene Chloride. I assume that you have already tried IPA?

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 09:11:20 PM »
I think petrol would be good.
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:22:38 PM »
Haven't tried acetone ... good thought.  The acetone is upstairs with the 3D printer so doesn't spring to mind when working in the garage.  Similarly with the IPA in the bio shed.  I'd have my doubts about IPA, but I'll give it a go.

Don't have the other chemicals to hand, Nige but I could have done with some Methylene Chloride recently, it's supposed to work as an adhesive for PETg  3D printing filament.

And I'll certainly try petrol.

You can mechanically remove the stuff but some of the parts are really intricate and I believe there are various ports and drilling that could be blocked.

If I have any success I'll report back.
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
Are you on heating oil/kerosene where you are Julian....another option for you.

Offline Jamesrl

• Wiki Editor
  • Oil baron
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »
I had a load of gunge in my boat fuel tank an pipework,not good leaving bio in a system if it's going to sit idle for some time, I only had acetone to hand at the time but boy did it clean everything up. I wouldn't bother with anything else should I need to clear bio crap again.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »
Nige, no we're not ... gas, log and glogs.

Jim, thanks for that, good to know.  I've got two pumps with the problem and I don't have either opened up at the moment.  I cleaned the top section of one and filled the bottom with thinners.  It didn't clean anything but did wreck the shaft seal.  Although leaking it seemed to run OK with the exception of occasionally trying to die at tick over (recovered fine when reved so I'm hoping it may get better with use).  If the one I've played with works, I'll try a full rebuild of the other using copious amounts of acetone.

If any one else is stupid enough to still be running such an antiquated car (Bosch VE pump) it's interesting to note the difference in timing with the 9.5mm pin in the pulley and putting a DTI on the end of the plunger.

On the bench I measured around 0.4mm play on the plunger with the pin in place.  Given that the stroke of the plunger is probably only 3 - 3.5mm it represents a massive percentage error in timing.  I'll certainly be setting the timing with the DTI once the new seal arrives.

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 11:34:55 AM »
If you're pulling it to bits you could try an ultrasonic cleaner with a suitable solvent?
We use one quite a lot and it's pretty effective.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
The other commonly used chemical we all have is methanol. Could be worth giving that a go too.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »
Despite all the brown crap in the injection pump, filter and heater, lift pump and sedimenter, I think I've found the cause of the problem.

Never seen myself as having very green fingers, but I've managed to grow quite a nice garden in the tank ...

This stuff is like poorly made pasta and is accompanied by a clear/yellowish gum that must be more sticky than anything developed by man.

Anybody got a series 1 Discovery fuel tank going spare?

Offline Keef

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
    • Adur Cooking Oils
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 09:57:35 PM »
Might be one at my unit, off road guys next door shorten their discos and change/relocate the tank inside.

I should be there tomorrow so I'll check.

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 10:38:39 PM »
That would be fantastic provided they don't want an arm and a leg for it (you know what a tight old sod I am!) ... thanks Keith.

I think all the series ones, 200tdi, 300tdi and V8 all used the same tank.

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »
That growth is gross! If its organic, which is highly likely, you could try some hot caustic solution.

Offline RichardP

• Wiki Editor
  • Impeller jammer
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »
Urgh, looks like spinach pasta. At least you won't go hungry.