Author Topic: From PMs ... it's easer to answer on the forum if not admin stuff!  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
Chug ...

I've selectively amalgamated and used bits from the turmeric page as you suggested but much of the info was duplicated.  I've not deleted anything from your page, I'll leave that up to you if you consider it necessary.  I still think the page should stand in its own right and given it a category and linked the titration page to it.

Tony ...

I had a look through wikimedia help on formatting text etc couldn't find any means of altering the headings.  If you are brave enough, it would be great if you can alter the style sheet otherwise I suggest giving level 3 headings (the ones that go ====text==== if I've got that right now!) a miss purely for clarity.

Re main page: I'm not a fan of cluttered pages, so I wasn't advocating filling it up, often less is more, but just something, a graphic or text to instantly say what the site is about.

Re Titration:  I think I was somewhat barking up the wrong tree, thinking that the adjustment was made to the acid number.  Anyway I've written it up as an adjustment to the base.

Made a little more progress on the titration page adding photos and adjusting the layout.

Thanks for the reminder to go to bed!
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk

Offline Chug

• Administrator
  • Oil obsessive
Re: From PMs ... it's easer to answer on the forum if not admin stuff!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
The titration page is looking great Julian, excellent bit of amalgamation and nice clear shots of balnk and titratin colour changes, we don't need the turmeric page now then but maybe we now need a phenolpthalien page instead though, or maybe simpler to add a few lines and pics to show phenolpthalien sequence to the titration page.

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
  • Fo' shizzle, biodizzle
    • Southampton Waste Oil Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
I had a look through wikimedia help on formatting text etc couldn't find any means of altering the headings.  If you are brave enough, it would be great if you can alter the style sheet otherwise I suggest giving level 3 headings (the ones that go ====text==== if I've got that right now!) a miss purely for clarity.

I'm happy to give them a miss TBH. I will have a look this coming week on where they might lurk in the style sheet.

Even just some paragraph indentation would help distinguish them from level 2!

Re main page: I'm not a fan of cluttered pages, so I wasn't advocating filling it up, often less is more, but just something, a graphic or text to instantly say what the site is about.

If you want to remove/replace the image and have a play with the main page then please don't feel like it's my territory or anything - by all means experiment! :)

Offline Julian

• Administrator
  • Oil baron
    • Used Cooking Oil Collection website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »
Chug ...

Disagree, I think the page should stay.  It's got lots more info than mine.  Mine's a sort of robotic, do it this way page, yours is more into the theory and reasons.  How about renaming it "Titration in depth" or something similar.  It would seem a shame to loose any page, we're not exactly being inundated with pages from others at the moment. I don't think duplication is a problem providing the information doesn't conflict.

Tony ...

Trying to not use level 3's would be the easiest idea.  Even something as simple as bold text would work OK.

Been thinking about the main page but not come up with anything so far, I'll keep thinking and put something up if I have a flash of inspiration!
Used Cooking Oil Collection website ... http://www.surreyusedcookingoilcollection.palmergroup.co.uk