Author Topic: Pump rates, effect of low rate?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline gonzo

• Barrel scraper
Pump rates, effect of low rate?
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:42:28 PM »
I've just run my reactor drum up for the first time.  Just running with some WVO and checking for leaks etc.
The pump I have is a Grundfos CH circulation pump. And on my system, it is moving the unheated oil at around 10l/min. That's in a 205ltr barrel.

Reading up, that looks to be about a quarter of what I should be looking for. Now, I recon once heated, I may get a bit more flow, but it's still on the low side.
Question is, what effect will a slower pump have? Will it just need longer reaction times? Or are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

For example... Taking 20min to turn the batch around, could I end up with glycerol dropping out into the cone base, quicker than I can pump it. And be just pumping the glycerol around?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:45:09 PM by gonzo »

Offline nigelb

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
Re: Pump rates, effect of low rate?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 09:05:53 AM »
Central heating pumps have their uses. Main reactor pumping is not one of them in my opinion. Invest in something that is more fit for purpose.
I use a central heating pump for my drying cycle.

Offline gonzo

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
I did suppect that when I saw the flow rate !
Will have a look around and see what else I can find.

Offline dgs

• Wiki Editor
  • Grand Gunge Master
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
Hi gonzo, Nige is correct. I used to do 340 litre batch sizes using a slowish pump. Not only did the process take more time but seemed to use more chemicals. This was in the days when I used to experiment a lot. I aquired a small 100 litre processor with a puisi panther pump, I could do batch sizes down to 70 litres with it.

What a difference! I fitted an eductor and reckoned turn round time in the processor was 20 seconds.

I promised myself I would never again use a 'weak' pump. Present set up is a 220 litre proc with eductor powered with a tam 120. It mixes like crazy!
FOC water tests by Sandy brae or Karl Fischer for forum members.

Offline gonzo

• Barrel scraper
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 11:15:18 PM »
The TAM pumps seem to be out of production.
The closest they do looks to be a BIP1500. A more powerfull version of the TAM 103.

Hopefully that is useable.
If anyone knows, let me know and I'll order one.

Cheers all.